I love the replayability added to a game that builds a map dynamically. I also love the mystery when the map unfolds as the game progresses. It is with those loves that we announce our newest contest: the Map Builder Design Challenge.
Your challenge is to design a game that builds out a dynamic map, either at the beginning of the game (so that each game starts with a new fresh map); or as the game progresses. Here are a few examples of such games to get your mind going:
- Carcassonne - Tile placement game that builds out a progressive map.
- Descent - RPG that builds out a unique map for each adventure from a set of reusable map pieces.
- Zombies!!! - Action game that builds out a progressive map looking for the escape route.
- Settlers of Catan - Dynamic map generated at the beginning of the game to determine placement of resources.
- Betrayal at House on the Hill - A crazy three-story mansion of horror that builds out dynamically causing more havoc with each room.
I’m sure you can name plenty more. These are all terrific games, and your job is to create your own take on a map building game.
To qualify, your game must comply with all of the following rules:
- Design an original game with a dynamic or progressive map. You may use cards, tiles, or mats to achieve the dynamic map effect.
- Maps can be randomly generated, player generated, or mission generated, but must be configurable for each new game that is played.
- A rules document for this game must be downloadable from the shop page.
- The maximum cost of the components in your game is $24.99.
- Any game submitted must be created for this contest; it cannot exist on thegamecrafter.com prior to the contest.
- The game must be publish-ready; it must have action shots, shop art, description, all images proofed, and packaging.
- All artwork must be your own, commissioned by you, licensed to you, or in the public domain.
- All entries must be uploaded to thegamecrafter.com and the game’s shop URL submitted to the crafter points submission form no later than midnight US Central time on March 1, 2013.
- Contestants may submit multiple entries to this contest. Each entry will be judged separately.
You retain all rights to your game and are welcome to sell it in the shop before, during, and after the contest regardless of the outcome of the contest.
The winner of this contest will receive:
- 100,000 crafter points.
- $50 of shop credit on thegamecrafter.com.
- An opportunity to guest judge the next contest.
- A free copy of the winning game will be sent to The Gamers’ Table for an official review and will be featured on an upcoming episode.
- Induction into the Hall of Fame.
- A 4-hour time slot at The Game Crafter’s booth at Gen Con 2013 in which you can pitch your games to all the people that stop by our booth!